Date:      Thu, 7 Aug 2003 21:38:44 -0400
From:      "Nathan Grant" <nateg@laundered.net>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Cc:        'Alden Louis-Pierre' <alden.pierre@verizon.net>
Subject:   RE: Question about the ln command

> Hello Everyone,
>
>     I've just installed FreeBSD 4.8.  I must say installing
> FreeBSD is
> fairly easy.  I've manage to dual boot with Win2K and FreeBSD.
> I'm now in the process of trying to configuring my kernel and
> getting my
> ports directory up to date via cvsup.  I've notice while
> reading the FreeBSD HandBook 2nd Edition p.178 it was
> suggested  to copy
> the kernel file to the root directory.  Configuring the kernel
> seems to be straight forward.  The problem I have is the following:
>
> *cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
> mkdir /root/kernels
> cp GENERIC /root/kernels/MYKERNEL
> ln -s /root/kernels/MYKERNEL*
>
> I have a problem with the last command.  From my understanding and
> reading through the man pages should it the *ln* command take in 3
> paramaters
> (*ln [option] [source] [dest]*) ?  Is it even possible to create a
> symbolic link with so few parameters?

Yes, it is.  With source as the only argument to ln, it makes a link in
the current directory with the name of the source file.  So, if your pwd
was /usr/src/sys/i386/conf and you committed the last command on that
list, it would create a link /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/MYKERNEL ->
/root/kernels/MYKERNEL
The destination argument is useful for overriding this behavior, but it
is not necessary.

HTH,
Nathan Grant