Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 16:48:13 +0100
From:      Phil Regnauld <regnauld@catpipe.net>
To:        Dennis Pedersen <trm@daydreamer.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipsec, racoon, win2000, certifications, how-to?

Dennis Pedersen (trm) writes:

> Uhm, you can also use a email add and a password
> something@domain.com        thekeything
> There are a bit about certificates in a kame newsletter, try looking on the
> site :)
>
> How did you solve the setkey setup if the ip adress is dynamic, do you have
> an example?

	That's the problem.

	See:

	http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=1&q=http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/freebsd/2000-12/0009.html&e=922

	Normally, you use SPDUPDATE messages to the kernel to update the security
	policy.

	o Client side -- normally you would use this in the CLIENT racoon.conf:

-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----
remote IP.OF.MY.OFFICE-GW
{
	[...]
	my_identifier address;
-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----

	... to identify yourself using your IP address.  Since it's dynamic,
	we use this instead:

my_identifier user_fqdn "userxyz@company.com" ;

	(could also be an X.509 ASN.1 identifier with a certificate payload
	-- haven't tried it yet with racoon...)

	o On the office GW:

	In psk.txt, you add:

userxyz@company.com    MyPreSharedKeySecret

	Then in the racoon.conf, you define a remote anonymous as follows:

-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----
remote anonymous {
	[...]

    passive on;
	generate_policy on;
    my_identifier address;
-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----

	Idea: the passive on tells the office GW to listen to requests and
	never initiate negotiation.  Perfect since you don't know the IP address
	in advance.

	generate_policy is there to fix that: it will generate a policy (SP)
	in the SPD dynamically if it the authentication info + PSK (pre shared
	key) or cert ID matches -- as racoon.conf(5) says:

generate_policy (on | off);
	 This directive is for the responder.  Therefore you
	 should set passive on in order that racoon(8) only
	 becomes a responder.  If the responder does not have any
	 policy in SPD during phase 2 negotiation, and the direc-
	 tive is set on, then racoon(8) will choice the first pro-
	 posal in the SA payload from the initiator, and generate
	 policy entries from the proposal.  It is useful to nego-
	 tiate with the client which is allocated IP address
	 dynamically.

	Unfortunately, this doesn't work.

	Running racoon -F you will see the server (GW) side complain
	with something in the form (don't have it in front of me):

X_SPDUPDATE: no such file or directory

	... and after a short while the phase 1 will time out, with no
	phase 2 negotiated.

	And that's it :(   So it looks like KAME either doesn't fully implement
	this or racoon doesn't -- I'm not really sure which, and haven't
	had time to try with isakmpd yet (ports/net/isakmpd).

	Any ideas ?