Date:      Thu, 28 Nov 96 20:42:53 +0700
From:      "Victor A. Sudakov" <victor@vas.tomsk.su>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, oystein@frosk.zoo.uib.no
Subject:   Re: How can I check spelling of a text?

>   On Tue, 26 Nov 1996, Victor A. Sudakov wrote:
>
>   > When I installed my FreeBSD 2.1.0 from CD, I also installed the
>   > dictionary files. Now they are in /usr/share/dict. However, I
>   > cannot understand how I can make use of them. I just cannot
>   > find a command to run to check spelling of a text.
>   >=20
>   > I know about the ispell utility from the ports collection, but
>   > it seems to be using its own dictionary files.
>
>   ispell suppose to work with any language, you must just specify which=20
>   dictionary you want to use. See the ispell(1) manual.

Thank you very much for your advice.

First, this gives me hope that I will be able to make it work
with the Russian dictionary.

BTW, do you know if there is a German dictionary around?

However, in a book about UNIX I read that there are very simple
spell checkers that are not interactive, but just read text and
make a list of words that were not found. I would prefer such.
Do you know where I could take one?

---
Victor A. Sudakov                          E-mail: victor@vas.tomsk.su
Center of Information Technologies         FidoNet: 2:5005/49
Tomsk Region Education Department          Telephone: +7 3822 224916
Tomsk, Russian Federation                  Telefax:   +7 3822 225912