Date:      Wed, 16 Mar 2011 09:12:38 -0700
From:      Charlie Kester <corky1951@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: deprecated ports

On Wed 16 Mar 2011 at 03:45:25 PDT Matthias Andree wrote:
>However, we should be sure to find maintainers before ports are
>undeprecated, else we run into a cycle of deprecation, reviving the
>port, deprecating it again, and so on.

I definitely agree with this.  If someone wants to get one of these
ports off the deprecated list, they should be willing to maintain it.

I'm willing to take on more myself, but I'm not running a home for
orphaned ports here.  There has to be something about the port that
interests me.  I'm fond of commandline tools and ncurses-based
interfaces, for example, which is why I took lookat.

We have far too many unmaintained ports in the tree.  I applaud this
effort to weed out the stale ones.

I certainly didn't intend for my comments re gimpshop, xinvest and
xquote to lead to them being pulled off the deprecated list but still
unmaintained.  If no one else wants them, I'll take xinvest and xquote,
since I'm responsible for their current status.

But I'm leery of the whole gimp-y swamp.  If I took gimpshop, I'd
probably be in over my head.  So I hope you'll understand if I decline.