Date:      Thu, 20 Aug 2015 14:17:17 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problem with freebsd-update corrupting /etc/passwd

I just upgraded two servers from 8.4-RELEASE to 10.2-RELEASE.  On both
servers I had a problem with the /etc/passwd file after upgrade.

This is what I got on both servers:

# pwd_mkdb -C /etc/passwd
pwd_mkdb: corrupted entry
pwd_mkdb: at line #3
pwd_mkdb: /etc/passwd: Inappropriate file type or format

On one server a single user "disappeared" (getent passwd username returned
nothing).  On the other server, after I replaced it with
/etc/masster.passwd, I looped through the /etc/passwd file and getent
returned each entry, so no users "disappeared".

Not sure what the problem might be, but I thought y'all should know.

Paul Schmehl, Retired