Date:      Wed, 9 Jan 2013 18:31:11 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Walter Hurry <walterhurry@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   pkgng - Symlinks created by portupgrade?

I am using pkgng.

When I issue 'portupgrade <package> -p', after build and installation, it
builds a new package, as advertised. This (by default) is put into /usr/
ports/packages/All.

At the same time, it installs a set of symlinks; one for each relevant
port category, plus one in /usr/ports/packages/Latest.

It is the naming of this last in which I am interested. Sometimes the
symlink seems to bear the name (absent the version) of the package, and
sometimes the name of the port (plus '.txz', of course).

Two questions:

1) Does anyone know the logic used to derive the name of the symlink?

2) Would it be considered a breach of etiquette to email the port
maintainer (bdrewery) and ask, or is this regarded as acceptable?

'man portupgrade' doesn't seem to shed any light on this, and I am
unaware of where to seek other documentation.