Date:      Sun, 22 Aug 1999 22:04:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Committers <cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mandatory locking?

:Somehow you need to get a lock.
:
:>     You mean have one program make a fcntl call that causes other
:>     programs to return an error or block if they try to open that
:>     file while the first program holds an open descriptor?
:
:Correct.  I suppose it's worth discussing what the default should be.
:Should they get EAGAIN or block?  Obviously you'd want a way of
:specifying which, but there would have to be a default for
:non-lock-aware programs.  I think I'd go for blocking; it's less error
:prone.
:
:Greg

    I dunno, it sounds pretty icky to me.   I would redesign whatever you
    are doing that requires mandatory locks to use advisory locks instead.
    It can be as simple as a wrapper around whatever program your users are
    running that is causing whatever the problem is.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>