Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 2006 02:36:10 -0400
From:      "Dave" <dmehler26@woh.rr.com>
To:        <gnome@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        marcus@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   gnome-speech supporting alternative synthesizers

Hello,
    First of all please forgive the cross-posting, freebsd.org/gnome showed
one email, while make maintainer in /usr/ports/accessibility/gnome-speech
showed another.
    My name is Dave. I'm a user and a system administrator of FreeBSD
currently with only 5.x and 6.x systems. My primary use has been in the
configuration, deployment, and utilization of servers, however i'd like to
replace some Linux desktops with FreeBSD. I am visually impaired so in this
role i would utilize x-windows and gnopernicus. This combination i have
working quite well on a testbox my one problem is the quality of the
festival speech i find difficult to understand for longterm daily use. On a
Linux box when one wants to add an additional synthesizer one has to
recompile the rpm, source tarball etc. of gnome-speech with the appropriate
module added-in. So i took a look at the gnome-speech makefile and
specifically the festival example. I'd like to see if i can get gnome-speech
going with other synths, specifically one already in ports audio/flite and
two commercially available synths: Ibm's TTS formerly known as Viavoice info
at:
http://ibmtts-sdk.sourceforge.net/
and Fonix's dectalk:
http://www.digibuy.com/cgi-bin/product.html?1118982230388.
My theory is i should be able to get these going using linux binary
emulation. I realize both of the above are commercial, and i have not looked
in to any legal or distribution issues, as of now i'm simply doing this as a
feasibility study and to improve accessibility. If i do get this working
would you be interested in a patch to the Makefile to pull in these
additional synths if found, or use the new makefile options facility so that
an interested end-user can select the desired synth. My thinking on the
commercial aspect is treat them as the Sun JDK, downloadable files only,
where the user has to purchase the synth from the company providing it, load
linux binary emulation, drop the tarball in, and install or reinstall
gnome-speech to have the the new synth registered.
    Suggestions or comments welcome.
Thanks.
Dave.