Date:      Fri, 01 May 1998 17:55:37 +0300
From:      Eugene Vedistchev <scaner@belabm.by>
To:        "freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   something interesting

Hello.
Found this forward in russian echoconference about linux,
seems to be interesting for freebsd ppl.

To: gnhlug@zk3.dec.com
Subject: FYI - possible further X licensing developments
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 10:28:50 -0400
From: "Michael O'Donnell" ?mod@semolina.ne.mediaone.net?

 Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 09:40:19 -0400
 From: Ken Flowers ?flowers@opengroup.org?
 Subject: X Window System Licensing Directions

 Dear Friends:

 You may be aware that we recently changed the licensing terms for
 the X Window System(TM) technology.  You may also be aware that this
 change has caused some concern in the freeware community.  This letter
 will explain the reasons behind the licensing change and explain
 what we are doing to address the concerns of the freeware community.

 We set up the X Window System licensing to provide free access to
 non-commercial users of the technology, while adding a licensing
 fee or X Project Team membership requirement for commercial use of
 the technology.  The commercial terms have been well received, but the
 non-commercial terms have not met the needs of the freeware community.
 In particular, our current non-commercial license restricts the
 traditional freeware distribution channels by not having a way to
 distribute the code for a reasonable at media cost.  The result of
 this is a potential split in the development streams of the technology.

 We have spoken with a number of leaders in the freeware community
 and belive we have found a solution to this problem that addresses
 our business goals, is mindful of our customers' needs, and addresses
 the concerns of the freeware community.  We are looking at creating
 a variant of the "Artistic License" already in use by the freeware
 community for distributing Perl.  That license would allow for
 redistribution of the X Window System code to the freeware community
 in the traditional manner, low priced CDROMs.  We expect to finalize
 the details of this solution in the next weeks and announce changes
 to the non- commercial license terms to the broad audience then.

 In the mean time, I'd like to explain some of our reasons for making
 these changes and address some questions raised by these changes.

 Summary of X11R6.4 X Window System Licensing

 Commercial distributors of X11R6.4 must either be members of the X
 Project Team or make royalty payments, but not both.  One benefit of
 membership in the X Project Team is that it now provides an annual paid
 up license for commercial distribution.  An X Project Team membership
 costs between $5K and $50K per year depending on volume of shipments
 and participation levels.

 Non-commercial users can download the technology from our ftp site,
 ftp.x.org, or from a number of mirror sites at no charge.  We are
 clarifying the current license to allow distribution of the technology
 in aggregate free software distributions for a fee.

 All of the money from X Project Team memberships, past and future
 (and any future royalty-based license revenue) has been and will be
 used for further development of the X Window System technology.

 Motivation

 The Open Group, operating with the input of the X Project Team
 members, has two motivations in creating the new license policy:

 * To insure that there is a financial base to support continued
 development, testing and controlled releases of the X Window System
 for both commercial companies and for the free software community.

 * To insure that work contributed for free from the free community is
 not exploited for commercial benefit unless an organization making
 commercial use provides some financial support for the evolution of
 the technology.  This benefits the free community and, The Open Group
 hopes, encourages new work by the free community on the X11R6.4 base.

 Over time and with stability of the code, X Project Team membership
 support for the X Window System technology has dropped even while usage
 and sales of the technology has increased.  In fact, one multi-billion
 dollar company recently dropped out of the X Project Team, but still
 was one of the first companies to download the X11R6.4 code from The
 Open Group web site.

 The intent of the new licensing policy is to counteract this trend
 and cause those who profit from the sale of the technology to help
 support it, instead of taking advantage of the previously unrestricted
 license model.  Like harvesting a forest for profit without replanting,
 the previous state of affairs ultimately does not benefit users
 or suppliers.  The most straightforward way to achieve a viable
 X Window System technology program in the future is to change the
 commercial economics of the situation now.  That is what the new
 licensing policy does.

 Background

 The development of X Window System technology started at MIT, moved to
 the X Consortium, and then to The Open Group.  The development of the
 X Windows System has always been funded by sponsorship from companies
 who planned to sell the resulting technology.  In the last year that
 MIT managed the technology there were approximately 105 companies
 supplying over $2 million to the development of the technology.
 That dwindled to about half that amount at the X Consortium, which
 caused the X Consortium to develop a similar licensing program to
 what The Open Group has just announced.  The X Consortium shut down
 prior to implementing that program.

 When the technology was transferred to The Open Group, The Open
 Group did not implement new licensing as the X Consortium had intended
 to do. Instead, The Open Group has tried to rely for support on the
good
 will of the businesses that use the technology commercially.  There is
 core set of companies that, through their X Project Team memberships,
 make a valuable investment which benefits the free community. There
 are currently 25 X Project Team members. The Open Group gratefully
 acknowledges their support and believes that the best possible use of
 their investment is being made in delivering releases such as X11R6.4.

 The Open Group runs the X Project Team as a non-profit activity to
 support the technology and specification development of the X Window
 System moving forward.  This work is done with a small full time staff
 that is supported directly from X Project Team membership revenue.
 The X Project Team members review and direct our work.  All of the
 X Project Team revenue is invested back into the technology.

 Regards,
 Ken Flowers
 Director of Desktop Technologies