Date:      Sat, 29 Nov 1997 19:46:35 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        jbryant@unix.tfs.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Drive Mirroring

On Sat, Nov 29, 1997 at 03:12:18AM -0600, Jim Bryant wrote:
> In reply:
>>> The disk in the Sun is already pre-partitioned (one big one), and those that
>>> be wouldn't let me re-partition it sanely. Hence they wanted the whole
>>> disk mirrored, boot and all.
>>
>> Sounds like SNI.  A minimum of 5 partitions on a 1 GB drive, and the
>> install utility is set up so that you just *can't* do without any of
>> them.
>
> heh...  i know someone who refused to put /opt on his boot drive, and
> couldn't figure out why install didn't work right...
>
> as for your RAID, are you going to do the vold thing, or will it be
> more integral?

I'll be doing something like vold, though I haven't decided whether I
really *need* a daemon running all the time.  Raid will be a plex
type, along with the standard concatenated and striped kinds.

> also, will it be part of the base dist, like ccd is, or a
> third-party thing?

That's partially for the FreeBSD team to decide, but since it's being
funded by a third party, they don't want to release it immediately.
They have committed to releasing the code under a Berkeley-like
agreement, however.

> When will it be testable?

Real Soon Now.  Maybe January.  At least in part.  If you're
interested, I'll see what I can do.

Greg