Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 1998 01:02:14 -0200 (EDT)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        joelh@gnu.org, tlambert@primenet.com, dag-erli@ifi.uio.no, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Graphical screen saver

#define quoting(Jordan K. Hubbard)
// > routines for variable initialization and the actual drawing.  (The
// > actual drawing is currently handled by direct memory writes.)  I'm not
//
// It would be nice if, at the very minimum, you supplied some minimum
// routines/macros for talking to this memory region, perhaps like this:
//
// typedef unsigned int scr_char;	// char + color + attributes + fut. expansion
//
// str_char	a_scr_char(char *color, u_int attrs, char ch);
// scr_char	scr_getchar(int x, int y);
// void		scr_putchar(int x, int y, str_char ach);
//
// /* Accessors: Possibly inline, possibly macros */
// char		*scr_char_color(str_char sch);
// u_int		scr_char_attrs(str_char sch);
// char		scr_char_ch(str_char sch);
//
// This would sort of give you your "getpixel()/putpixel()" equivalent
// interface for implementing the higher-level line, rectangle, circle,
// etc.  drawing primitives which screen-saver writers would probably
// much rather use.

Isn't this too much overhead for a screen saver ?

I haven't yet seen the graphic screen savers, but shouldn't they be
done as a user level program with some kernel hooks ?  This would
allow X to interface with syscons saver framework.

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@gta.ufrj.br
+55 21 290-4698				jonny@coppe.ufrj.br