Date:      Thu, 24 Sep 1998 15:41:06 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Avalon Books <avalon@advicom.net>
To:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is the de driver dead?

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Dennis wrote:

> having other

> >   I have heard this, too, but my experience with the de driver has been
> >one of flawless operation, under any load and every protocol I've tried. I
> >use Kingston KNE-40BT (using the DEC 21041A/PB) and I have to admit, for
> >an inexpensive card that's warrantied *forever*, its good hardware.
> >  After the few network problems I run into (and they are few and far
> >between), there wasn't anything that could be firmly blamed on the de
> >driver as the culprit. Is there any documentation on these supposed
> >problems with the de driver?
>
> The card you site is not a 21040 nor a -AC or later, so how is this relevant?
>
> The first problem is that there is seemingly no way to get the 10/100 cards
> to work on a 10mb/s network as they "autosense" wrong and when set
> manually do not work with the DE driver.
>
> db

   Considering the 21041A is a 21040 with a few minor firmware revisions I
think it might be relevent. It seems the de driver itself has been
essentially unchanged in quite a while, and I think it might of a value to
determine why the supposed problems with the de driver manifest themselves
the way they do. And those of us in the hardware business find
multi-platform and third party testing to be extremely useful for locating
both software and hardware flaws. For all we know, the chip isn't at
fault--maybe its a bus interfacing problem, or an interface compliance
problem, or who knows what else...

--Rick Pelletier
Sys Admin, House Galiagante