Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 15:34:55 +0000
From:      Alan Judge <Alan.Judge@indigo.ie>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vmpfw in pine via NFS

Daniel> /me shivers at the thought of my (easily) 500+ new messages a day
Daniel> and hundreds of thousands of messages being stored one file for each
Daniel> message...

Works OK for us (and a number of even larger ISPs using Maildirs).
Though we use NetApps for the file storage and they have a much better
system for storing large numbers of files in a directory, so it
doesn't get quadratically slower.  Largest single FS we have at the
moment has about 3.5 million files in it; I don't know what the
largest number of files in a single directory is, but I've seen 10s of
thousands on occasion without problems.  It works much better than a
large file per user and NFS file locking, which makes me shiver.
--
Alan