Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 04:56:05 -0800
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Lord Raiden <raiden23@netzero.net>
Subject:   Re: BSD emergency shutdown of all servers

> Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 16:44:57 -0500
> From: Lord Raiden <raiden23@netzero.net>
>
> 	How would you go about doing an emergency shutdown of all of your BSD
> servers say if something were happening that all of your servers HAD to be
> shut down in 2 minutes or less regardless.  SSH'ing to all the boxes at the
> same time would be kinda impossible in that limited time.  I'm more looking
> at the old "Panic Button" idea.
>
> 	The idea came to me today and I thought it would be very useful.  I don't
> see a need for it right in the foreseeable future, but then again, I didn't
> see the need for a UPS either until one of my boxes got whacked by a power
> surge.  So as a little preventative forethought, I want something that can
> remotely shut down all of our BSD servers within a 2 minute window so that
> we can go power off at exactly 2 minutes and put the whole NOC dark within
> 120 seconds of the "Panic Alert" so to speak.  Plus being able to execute
> all of this from a basic script would be great too.  Kinda a single option
> to execute thing.  The less things I have to do in that 2 minute panic
> window, the better.

Since you say you now grasp the value of a UPS and have presumably
now equipped your FreeBSD boxes with them, and since typical UPS
signaling daemons have as their primary function the ability to
gracefully shutdown hosts in a short period of time while unattended,
why don't you just invoke the equivalent of a power-fail event and
let the UPS daemon do the rest?

All this talk about writing SSH scripts that pretend to be
interactive users, along with the management issue of embedding
passwords or fooling around with convoluted sudo stuff sounds like a
lot more of a hassle and potentially less reliable way to go about
it, to me.

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium