Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 16:11:31 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   wchar support?

Folks,

I'm trying to compile OpenJade 1.3, a C++ application, for the Doc. Proj.
The build fails with

LangObj.cxx:15: wchar.h: No such file or directory
LangObj.cxx:16: wctype.h: No such file or directory
gmake[2]: *** [LangObj.lo] Error 1

which is obvious enough.  A hunt through /usr/include, /usr/local/include,
and /usr/X11R6/include doesn't turn up anything approximating these headers
as far as I can tell (this is on a -stable system, but I've got a -current
source tree extracted as well, and I can't find it in there either).

A hunt through the mailing list archives turned up various messages about
wchar support, in particular a thread last year, pointing at the xview3.2
libraries.  I've just extracted the x11-toolkit/xview port (which unextracts
to xview3.2p1-X11R6, so I assume I've got the right one), but the only
mention of wchar.h in there is a comment in clients/olwm/charset.h

   /* Following macros are defined in <wchar.h> via <stdlib.h> in ALE

so I figure the information in that thread was either wrong, or is now
out of date.

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.

    If you want to imagine the future, imagine a tennis shoe stamping
    on a penguin's face forever.
        --- with apologies to George Orwell