Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 00:26:40 +0200 (IST)
From:      Roman Shterenzon <roman@harmonic.co.il>
To:        andrew@ugh.net.au
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Userland ppp

I solved the mistery.
I've noticed a mail from Alfred Perlstein who described a similar problem,
I disabled the net.inet.tcp.rfc1323 and it works as before.
Promptly after that I removed tcp_extentions from /etc/rc.conf ..
BTW, is there rfc1948 implementation in FreeBSD? I know that Solaris has it.

Quoting andrew@ugh.net.au:

> On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Roman Shterenzon wrote:
>
> > No, it's my home computer, however the same goes to other computer
> which is
> > attached to it (I run ppp -nat), when I d/l something big, the network
> is
> > unreachable.
>
> I know when we had a very lagged ISDN line that the FreeBSD box could
> get
> far more than its share of the bandwidth just because of the higher
> performing stacks. MacOS can do the same to Windows although misses out
> slightly to UNIX.
>
> That said it may still be a bug. You can use tcpdump to see if the
> packets
> are actually getting out at all. trafshow will give you a snapshot of
> how
> much bandwidth each connection is taking.
>
> Andrew

--Roman Shterenzon, UNIX System Administrator and Consultant
[ Xpert UNIX Systems Ltd., Herzlia, Israel. Tel: +972-9-9522361 ]