Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2001 18:50:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "T. William Wells" <bill@twwells.com>
To:        barney@tp.databus.com (Barney Wolff)
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: possible problem with dc driver

> That ifconfig says you do NOT have full-duplex.  What does the
> thing you're connected to say?  If it's a switch, either there's
> a light or (if an expensive switch :) some command.  If you
> just have a crossover cable to the other machine, what does it say?
> If you're connected to a hub rather than a switch, both machines
> must not say full-duplex.

They're connected by a hub. The other machine is also a FreeBSD
box with a dc interface (but different card); the ifconfig's
differ only in the IP address and MAC address. So, the problem
isn't a duplex mismatch.  Damn. :)

I really didn't think it was anyway -- I can lock up the problem
machine with bulk data transfers. So I really do think it's a
driver problem.

I suppose I ought to build a debugging kernel and see what I can
break.... Do you think it might be worthwhile swapping the cards
to see if the problem moves with the card or stays with the
machine? This would be a bit of a pain for me to do, though.