Date:      Mon, 2 Sep 2002 15:42:41 -0500
From:      Joseph <mystical@houston.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X again...

* Brian McCann (bjm1287@ritvax.rit.edu) wrote:
> Hi everyone.  I'm still having problems w/ X.  When I look at the log
> file, everything goes will until the very end, where I get "Fatal server
> error: could not open default font 'fixed'".  Anyone have any ideas?
> I've gotten rid of the error I was having with not being able to write
> to the mouse by commenting out the protocol line in the config file, and
> I got around the "Speedo" font by commenting it out...this is the last
> problem and I can't get it! ARGH!  Any help would be appreciated.

Let us take a look at your /etc/X11/XF86Config (or XF86Config-4) file. Manually editing this file may help you out

You also might want to perform a search on the web for Freebsd systems that offer the same PC specs as your computer.

Just post a snippet of your XF86Config file...you should be able to get closer to the heart of the problem

Cheers