Date:      Tue, 3 Aug 2010 14:42:30 -0700
From:      Jeff Hamann <jeff.d.hamann@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   adding postgresql_enable="YES" by hand

Hi,=20

I'm sure this is a newbie question, but I can't seem to get traction via =
web searches...

In the past, when I've installed postgresql using the ports collection, =
I haven't had to worry about this.=20

I've built postgresql from source on FreeBSD (not using the ports =
collection) and now need to add:

postgresql_enable=3D"YES" to the rc.conf file so that when the machine =
is booted, the postmaster will start.=20

Now, I need to understand the mechanics between:

blah_blah_blah_enable=3D"YES"=20

and=20

$ /usr/local/blah_blah_blah/bin/thingy_ctl -D /usr/blah_blah_blah/data =
start/stop/restart

Since I need to be able to build outside the ports collection (other =
OSes apply), can someone please point me in the right direction for =
"hooking this up"

Please?
Jeff.=20

Jeff Hamann