Date:      Tue, 9 Jun 1998 02:04:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jeff Shipper <jshipper@isupply.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: bounce memory out of range

On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, Jeff Shipper wrote:

> Gentlemen,
>
> I am having a problem installing FreeBSD 2.2.5 on our new server.
> After initially configuring the kernel through the visual mode and saving
> it to continue with the install the server comes up with the error
> "panic: bounce memory out of range", after that it reboots and the whole
> cycle starts over again.  Here is the server's hardware profile:
>
> Rack mounted tower case w/ 250watt PS
> Dual PentiumII Server Motherboard ( ASUS A.G.P. P2L97 Series )
> Dual PentiumII 300 mhz with 512K cache
> 512MB of SDRAM <--- I dont know if this is the problem or not

It is.  Try dropping it down to 128MB or less, boot it, then build a new
kernel without the 'options BOUNCE_BUFFERS' line, put the memory back
in, then try it.It's a known bug.

> 3COM 10/100 PCI LAN ADAPTER

I'd seriously consider replacing this with an Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B
adapter -- if this is a 3c905B you're out of luck.

NOTICE:  gdi.uoregon.edu is going down, please use dwhite@resnet!