Date:      Tue, 14 Oct 1997 18:27:52 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Alec Kloss <alec@d2si.com>
To:        lsmarso@panix.com (Larry S. Marso)
Cc:        bmc@WillsCreek.COM, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: x11 app that configures keyboard

Larry S. Marso said:

> Yes, thanks, that's it.  However, the xkeycaps utility is blind where win95
> specialty keys are concerned.  I'd like to put them to use in FreeBSD.  The
> xev utility gives me some of the information I'd need, I suppose.  Is there
> any more illuminating documentation (beyond the man files) for xmodmap
> that would assist me in writing an appropriate xmodmap file?  Or could
> anyone volunteer their tailored xmodmap file?  Thank you.
>
> --
> Larry S. Marso
> lsmarso@panix.com

xmodmap(1) really isn't that hard to use---here's a little shell
script I worked out to remap the Window keys to Escape and the menu
key to backspace:

  #!/bin/sh
  xmodmap -e 'keycode 115 = Escape'
  xmodmap -e 'keycode 116 = BackSpace'
  xmodmap -e 'keycode 117 = Escape'

xmodmap -pke prints the current mapping in expressions which should
give you plenty of examples.  The keycodes may change on different
equipment so you should check them with xev(1).  I'd guess that your
FreeBSD/intel system acts just like mine, but a Linux/intel system
probably would be different.