Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 23:23:01 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Utz <john@utzweb.net>
To:        "Adam D. Gorski" <agorski@engin.umich.edu>
Cc:        Sean LeBlanc <seanleblanc@attbi.com>, <freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cat'ing /dev/audio

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Adam D. Gorski wrote:

> P.S. If anyone knows why my SB16 crackles and pops while I try to play
> mp3/ogg but works fine with .au and .wav files, feel free to let me know :P

OTTOMH, overall system utilization.

mp3 and ogg need extensive work ( manipulation wrt to the psycho-accoustic
model ) to move from disk to soundcard.

au and wav are an uncompressed format that maps directly to the d/a
hardware in the card.

so, i am assuming that if you have an isa based card (sb16) that the cpu
and ram in this particular computer arent particularly generous either.

if you can get some audio to come out sounding good, then the other ones
are probably fixable too, because the load for rebuilding the mp3 and oggs
isnt *that* great.

but i dont really know very much about your computer and kernel option
specifics, so i should probably stop guessing :-)

--

John L. Utz III
john@utzweb.net

Idiocy is the Impulse Function in the Convolution of Life