Date:      Mon, 13 Jun 2005 18:26:51 -0500
From:      Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
To:        Christopher Black <cblack@securecrossing.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Celeron

On 6/13/05, Christopher Black <cblack@securecrossing.com> wrote:
[snipped]
>=20
> On the contrary, lead has great worth if, for example, you need
> radiation shielding. =20

Isn't it ironic how lead can hurt and help you, I'm referring to lead poiso=
ning.

> A point of note is that the third party shells
> packaged with Linux (such as bash or zsh) are the same third party tools
> packaged with FreeBSD. =20

bash and zsh are not include in the base install. They are in the
ports system, mainly because they are 3rd party shells.

> I would be inclined to say FreeBSD actually uses
> a higher percentage of third party configuration tools than RedHat or
> SuSE, who tend to write their own in order to be more user friendly.
> Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't know of many instances where FreeBSD
> provides custom (graphical) configuration utilities.

FreeBSD doesn't do GUI config. FreeBSD is primarily a cross platform
server OS, not a desktop. Implementing a cross platform GUI install
thingy is more trouble then it is worth  because most servers don't
even have a monitor. Try getting that GUI to work over a serial port.
sysinstall is the only (that I know of)  config program that FreeBSD
is released with so I don't know what other config programs you are
referring to. Are you thinking about X config?, X + gnome, etc. are
not part of FreeBSD. Ports or Packages =3D 3rd party and not part of
FreeBSD, if it's not on the mini install disc then it isn't part of
FreeBSD.