Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 2002 02:49:47 -0700
From:      Felipe Ortega <fortega2@pacbell.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPFW+NATD Problem

Hello,

I'm encountering a problem that I can't seem to solve.

The problem I'm having is: After enabling NATD+IFPW some websites are
timing out or not coming up at all...for example if I go to
www.newegg.com the browser will stay on "waiting for reply" it will
eventually time out. When pinging www.newegg.com from the host machine
running FreeBSD 4.6 natd+ipfw I get this message:

PING www.newegg.com (65.119.30.181): 56 data bytes
36 bytes from 65.114.177.238: Communication prohibited by filter
Vr HL TOS  Len   ID Flg  off TTL Pro  cks      Src      Dst
 4  5  00 5400 1e8f   0 0000  35  01 ff7f 64.172.198.194  65.119.30.181

This isn't the only site I'm having problems accessing.The percentage of
sites that give me this exact problem is around 10% of all web sites I
visit.but I have no issues with 90% of websites. One thing I did find in
common with all the sites I'm unable to access is they all have the same
ping message when pinging them "Communication prohibited by filter".

My ipfw list is as follows:

00050 divert 8668 ip from any to any via dc0
00100 allow ip from any to any via lo0
65000 allow ip from any to any
65535 deny ip from any to any

I know it's not secure at the moment.I'm trying to solve the problem
stated above before securing the firewall.

Any help will be appreciated

fortega@fortega.com