Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 14:12:48 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        Allan Strand <stranda@cofc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Choosing a fairly high-speed compute server

On 23 Oct 2000 15:22:56 -0400  Allan Strand wrote:
 +------------------
 | SMP might ultimately be an option (even if not threaded?), but I was
 | thinking of starting with a 800Mhz PIII machine.  Does this rambling
 | make sense?  Can FBSD utilize the PIII features?  Is there a
 | hi-performance computation in FBSD FAQ?

Sounds to me like you have your needs well defined.  Still most of
the Beowulf stuff applies equally well to FreeBSD as it does to
Linux.  You'll have to do the economics yourself but because of
memory access issues it might be faster to run on two 500Mhz boxes
than on one 1Ghz box.

YMMV
chris

--