Date:      Thu, 5 Jun 1997 16:44:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@federation.addy.com>
To:        Robert Eckardt <roberte@mep.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: REQ: FreeBSD in our life

On Thu, 5 Jun 1997, Robert Eckardt wrote:

> I would like to collect some information on "real-life" boxes that
> handle some traffic (mail, www, ...) (besides ftp.cdrom.com :-).
> (Like a mail server with some (ten-)thousand mails/day)

Well, I'm sure we're not the biggest thing out there, but we run a
web-hosting service that handles around 450 sites, generating about 1/2
million hits a day.  Also churns through about 3000 email messages a day.
All this is handled with FreeBSD with aplomb.  We've grown rapidly and the
#2 reason our customers give for their high satifaction (second to
technical support) is the fact that we're *always* up and running.  We
might take a machine down *maybe* 5 minutes a month. I attribute this
directly to FreeBSD.  Other than the Adaptec driver bug, it's been
rock-solid.  Every day, we get clients from other hosts running
NT/Linux/Sun/SCO because "they're always going down."

Cliff
http://addy.com