Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 2003 15:11:04 -0800
From:      Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: howto stop port from installing .la files ?

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 02:30:51PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 01:46:52PM -0800, Will Andrews wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 09:33:03PM +0000, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
> > > is there a proof way to stop a port from installing .la files ?
> >
> > Why would you want to do that?  Maybe there is something that
> > depends on your port and uses lt_dlopen() to load one of its libs?
>
> It's a policy that we shouldn't install .la files, because as far as
> anyone knows they are useless on FreeBSD.

Not true.  They are definitely useful for apps that prefer to let
libtool handle library loading for all the OS's they support.
I.e. what the message you are replying to says.

I used to believe they were useless but then actually figured out
what uses them and changed my mind.  A few bytes on the disk
saves a huge amount of code for things that use plugins and
allows the app to support many OS's with ONE library call.  And
it actually gives libtool a purpose for its existence...

I don't think the effort expended to remove them from ports is a
very good thing.

[will@fremont ~]% find /usr/local/lib -name "*.la"|wc -l
     587
[will@fremont ~]% find /usr/local/lib -name "*.la"|xargs du -hc | grep total\$
1.1M    total

A minuscule fraction of the 4.8G allocated to /usr on that computer.

Regards,
--
wca