Date:      Tue, 21 May 2002 10:25:51 -0400
From:      "Jonathan Arnold" <jdarnold@buddydog.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Meta key & Emacs problem solved

This is more of an answer than a question. I've been struggling all
morning with the most trivial of problems - how to get Emacs to
recognize the Alt key as the Meta key. You'd think this would be
a simple, common problem, with an easy to find answer, but, at least
to my weary eyes, I never found one. I saw a few postings on questions
that asked about this, and several on the kde lists, but none with
a succinct answer. Now, I believe I have one:

Use the 101 (or 102) key keyboard layout in XF86Setup or config
or whatever. Ie., in your /etc/XF86Config, have:

   XkbSymbols      "us(pc101)"
   XkbModel        "pc101"

Not, like some suggest, "microsoft" or "pc104". For some reason,
this maps the Windows key to be Meta, not the Alt key. I'll post
this to my FreeBSD weblog too, which I promise to freshen a lot
more regularily.

--
Jonathan Arnold     (mailto:jdarnold@buddydog.org)
Daemon Dancing in the Dark, a FreeBSD weblog: