Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 2002 11:16:11 -0400
From:      "Mike Jakubik" <mikej@trigger.net>
To:        "Fred Condo" <fred@condo.chico.ca.us>
Cc:        "Stable" <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: sshd vs ports sshd

In no way am I saying that curtail services like syslogd or inetd should be
taken out. But things like openssh, sendmail, certain libs, and basically
most software that is available and up to date via the ports. This kind of
software is very dynamic, and new releases are made very frequently, often
fixing crucial security bugs. In my experience, the ports destitutions have
always been very reliable, and software from ports is much much (portupgrade
vs. build world) easier to maintain and more up to date rather than
something that is built in. The combination of the rock solid FreeBSD core +
server software via ports to me presents an easy to maintain, stable, and
secure system. If FreeBSD provided an option of a true base install, I would
be a happy camper :)