Date:      Fri, 29 Oct 2010 02:09:50 +1030
From:      Wayne Sierke <ws@au.dyndns.ws>
To:        Christopher Illies <Christopher.Illies@ki.se>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Sendmail as client via smarthost and ssl

On Thu, 2010-10-28 at 14:49 +0200, Christopher Illies wrote:
<snip>
> Not knowing much about sendmail, I tried google and more or less
> blindly followed suggestions.  Here is what I have done so far, but
> sending email still does not work:
>
> 1. recompiled sendmail with sasl by adding the following lines to
> /etc/make.conf + installing security/cyrus-sasl2 + recompiling
> sendmail:
>
> SENDMAIL_CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include -DSASL=2
> SENDMAIL_LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib SENDMAIL_LDADD=-lsasl2
>
> 2. Adding the following line to my mc file (+ make all install
> restart):
>
> define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `EXTERNAL GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
> LOGIN PLAIN')dnl FEATURE(`authinfo',`hash /etc/mail/auth/client-info')dnl
>
> dnl Set port define(`RELAY_MAILER_ARGS', `IPC $h 587')

I can't speak to the validity of the technique that you're attempting to
use, however the 'dnl' directive is an instruction to ignore the rest of
the line (c.f. '#' in shell scripts, etc., in fact I believe 'dnl' is a
mnemonic for something like "delete to newline" or "discard to
newline").

In which case these are probably intended to be:

        define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `EXTERNAL GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
        FEATURE(`authinfo',`hash /etc/mail/auth/client-info')dnl

        dnl Set port
        define(`RELAY_MAILER_ARGS', `IPC $h 587')dnl

Wayne