Date:      Thu, 1 Mar 2007 16:25:41 -0500
From:      "Michael W. Lucas" <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   net-mgmt/flowscan and amd64

Hi,

ports@ is listed as the maintainer of this port, so here I am with my
pissant little problem.

Out-of-the-box, flowscan reads files is cflowd format.  Sensibly
enough, flowscan is set to require net-mgmt/cflowd.

With a little tweaking, flowscan reads files in flow-tools format.
(I'm not sure how to best automate this, although I have a good handle
on the manual process.)

Installing cflowd on i386 is not a problem, even if it's not necessary
for us flow-tools users.  But the flowscan port breaks on amd64
because cflowd is broken on amd64.  Cflowd requires an old gcc that
doesn't support amd64, so I believe this won't be fixed any time soon.

Being a lazy bastard, I just edit the Makefile to remove the cflowd
dependency line.  I'd be happy to prepare a proper patch, if I knew
what the correct path was.  I see the following options:

a) remove the cflowd requirement entirely, cflowd is basically
historical software used by people even more greybeard than myself.

b) require cflowd only on i386 -- as it's gcc2-based, I suspect this
is most realistic, although without a powerpc or arm box to test I
can't be sure.

c) the converse, unless arch==amd64 add a dependency for cflowd

Which is best?  Or is there another best way?

I'm happy to make and test a patch for any of a, b, or c and send-pr
it, as ports@ deems is best practice.

==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas	mwlucas@FreeBSD.org, mwlucas@BlackHelicopters.org