Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 17:02:48 -0700
From:      Murray Stokely <murray.stokely@windriver.com>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE scheduled for August 30th, 2001

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 02:27:52PM -0700, Darryl Okahata wrote:
>      Going off on a slight tangent, has any progress been made on having
> another CDROM vendor (or is WindRiver staying in the business for now)?

  WindRiver is definitely staying in the business of selling FreeBSD
products and services.  The problems with FreeBSDMall were unfortunate
but to a large degree they could also be expected with any merger of
this size where a complete production and fulfillment center is being
relocated.  One month of operational difficulties should say nothing
negative about the company's commitment to the FreeBSD community.

  This Fall there will be new FreeBSD products on the shelves of
CompUSA, Frys, Best Buy, etc.  There will be a 2nd Edition of the
Handbook on the shelves of Barnes and Noble.  Wind River paid for
FreeBSD developers to attend Usenix, the O'Reilly Doc Summit / Open
Source Convention, and many other events throughout the year.  WRS
will also have a big presence at BSDCon this year.

  The contributions that BSDi made to the FreeBSD Project were well
documented in the -hackers thread a couple of weeks ago, and NONE of
that is changing under WRS.  Money spent on products from WRS directly
funds many activities in the BSD community and it would take a very
long time for someone to convince me that there is another CDROM
vendor that is doing more for the FreeBSD Project than WRS is doing.

    - Murray Stokely
      FreeBSD Engineer, Wind River Systems

p.s.  It's my understanding that all of the developer CDs have gone
out and that most of our fulfillment problems are over.  If you are
still having order difficulties then by all means, send your complaint
directly to me and I will take care of it personally.