Date:      Wed, 10 Aug 2011 08:27:27 +0000
From:      Holger Kipp <Holger.Kipp@alogis.com>
To:        Daniel Kalchev <daniel@digsys.bg>
Subject:   Re: 32GB limit per swap device?

Am 10.08.2011 um 10:09 schrieb Daniel Kalchev:

> On 10.08.11 10:47, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 10:13:14AM +0300, Daniel Kalchev wrote:
>>> I am more concerned that with 32GB of swap in single device I could not=
 dump kernel core, with 64GB of RAM.
>> My apologies if I've misunderstood something, but why does this of any
>> concern?  Machine has 64GB RAM.  You have a single swap slice that's
>> effectively 32GB.  How is a kernel panic worth of 64GB RAM going to fit
>> into a 32GB swap slice?
>>
> The swap partitions are 64GB, it is only that FreeBSD refuses to use more=
 than 32GB of each for swap. But.. it might happily dump core to the whole =
partition, tests will show.

I doubt it. Have you tried increasing kern.maxswzone? It is the size in KB =
(for 32GB it is set to 33554432).
kern.maxswzone: Maximum memory for swap metadata

Best regards,
Holger

--
Holger Kipp
Diplom-Mathematiker

Tel. : +49 30 436 58 114
Fax. : +49 30 436 58 214
Mobil: +49 178 36 58 114
Email: holger.kipp@alogis.com

alogis AG
Alt-Moabit 90b
D-10559 Berlin

web : http://www.alogis.com

alogis AG
Sitz/Registergericht: Berlin/AG Charlottenburg, HRB 71484
Vorstand: Arne Friedrichs, Joern Samuelson
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Reinhard Mielke