Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 1998 09:48:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Niall Smart <njs3@doc.ic.ac.uk>
Cc:        "Ron G. Minnich" <Sarnoff.COM!rminnich@minas-tirith.pol.ru>, Alex Povolotsky <tarkhil@minas-tirith.pol.ru>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cluster?

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Niall Smart wrote:

> I think a good approach to transparent clustering is through distributed
> shared memory.  However, the coherencey schemes used for high reliability

  Or via a distributed lock manager, and shared disk storage.  I
understand this is how current cluster development is going.

> of months from now though.  One particular thing that could benefit
> easily from this are DNS servers,  other servers like mail and news wouldn't

  DNS?  DNS already has excellent fault-tolerant capabilities.

> be so easy, because of the need for a reliable shared filesystem.  Plus
> there is the problem of how to get clients of these servers to contact
> the redundant one in the event of a failure, I think someone has done
> something in this area using proxy arp...

  This is the important bit.  IP address assumption is critical.  Some
clusters do it by assuming the MAC address to ensure an instant
transition.

> Niall

Tom