Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 1996 10:27:39 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        info@adn.edu.ph (Information Help Desk)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: trouble for process to be terminated

> 	What's the last resort besides rebooting after killing a process
> that still lives but is trying to exit?

Use "ps" to determine the resource it is blocking on.

The free up the resource.

The _exit will complete, and the process will exit.

Most likely, the process which forked the zombie process has not
called "wait" like it should to reap the return value from the process
exit.  If the process is not able to call "wait", it should ingnore
SIGCHLD to allow the process to be reaped automatically.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.