Date:      Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:04:34 +0200
From:      Panagiotis Astithas <past@ebs.gr>
To:        Micah <micahjon@ywave.com>
Cc:        freebsd-eclipse@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help with diagnosing eclipse freezes

Micah wrote:
>> Hey List,
>>
>> I asked a similar question back in November.  See
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-eclipse/2005-November/000210.html
>>

>> A quick rehash: Starting eclipse via the command line "eclipse" takes
>> ~3.5 minutes to start.  Creating a new java project and a new class
>> and then moving the cursor resulted in a 1 minute freeze.  After it
>> unfroze typing "System." caused the IDE to freeze for another minute.
>> The times seem to be fairly consistent.
>>
>> This is on an Athlon 64 3000+ system with 1.5GB ram running
>> FreeBSD-release 6.0 i386 with the generic kernel.  I'm currently
>> trying to run eclipse-3.1.1_2, but it happened on 3.1.1 and 3.1_3 as
>> well.  A top indicates that "java" is taking up all available
>> processor time.  No disk activity is indicated in systat or by the
>> drive LED on the case. Poseidon, the other largish java application I
>> use frequently, does not exhibit these freezes.
>>
>> Since November I've upgraded to FreeBSD 6.0 release, tried compiling
>> eclipse with JDK15, tried compiling with JDK14, and tried the packaged
>> version from
>> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6-stable/All/eclipse-3.1.1_2.tbz.
>>

>> JDK15 fails to start crashing with a java hotspot zlib error.
>> JDK14 and packaged both exhibit the same freezes.
>>
>> I'm not sure how to begin diagnosing this.  Help with the debugger,
>> eclipse debugging flags, or tools to watch the system during the
>> freezes would be most appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Micah
>
> I just tried building Eclipse with java 1.5 and the patch Michael
> Kastner mentioned earlier this week.  /same/ problem.  Since only
> Eclipse does this and it's been there across multiple versions of
> FreeBSD and JVMs, then it's either Eclipse or a really strange hardware
> problem that only affects Eclipse and not the hundreds of other ports I
> have installed.  Could someone point me somewhere that has some reading
> on profiling or attaching a debugger to trap these freezes?

Try attaching to the eclipse process with a debugger when it freezes:

% pgrep -lf java
7186 /usr/local/jdk1.5.0/bin/java -Xms40m -Xmx256m -jar
/usr/local/eclipse/startup.jar -os freebsd -ws gtk -arch x86 -launcher
/usr/local/eclipse/eclipse -name Eclipse -showsplash 600 -exitdata 2001b
-vm /usr/local/bin/java -vmargs -Xms40m -Xmx256m -jar
/usr/local/eclipse/startup.jar
% gdb /usr/local/jdk1.5.0/bin/java 7186

And from there on snoop around and see if you can find anything useful.
You could do the same thing with ktrace(1):

% ktrace -p 7186

then use kdump(1) to view the processes activity.
In order to monitor the initial 3.5 min. delay, you coul start eclipse
from either ktrace or gdb and see if something weird goes on before
forking the java process.

If you haven't tried yet with other thread implementations, do so. Use
libmap.conf(5) to specify either libc_r or libthr and see if it makes
any difference. Also make sure you are not having any DNS or
network-related problems (any non-default sysctl settings?). And for the
truly paranoid, make sure powerd is not changing the clock frequency for
some reason and if you are using ataidle or some such it is not spinning
down the disks at that time. Not that I think it is likely to happen,
but since we are grasping for straws...

Cheers,

Panagiotis