Date:      Fri, 8 Jan 1999 23:16:35 PST
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        fenner@parc.xerox.com, dmaddox@conterra.com, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sdr broken with tcl/tk 8.04?

These ports attempt to build in the tcl/tk library files, so that a tcl/tk
installation isn't necessary to run them, just a statically compiled binary.
There's never been an "approved" way to do this (even though people have
been trying to do it for years) so everyone manages their own.  A change
made in 8.0.3 broke what many people do.

It occurred to me after trying to figure out how to deal with this that
the easiest thing to do might be remove these programs' attempts to
exist without a tcl/tk installation, since we know that the ports/package
dependencies will ensure a tcl/tk installation.

  Bill