Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 10:58:45 +0000
From:      Thomas Hurst <tom.hurst@clara.net>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: sendmail 8.12.2 MFC'ed

* Helge Oldach (helge.oldach@atosorigin.com) wrote:

> Count this my strong vote against removal of packages that are
> traditionally part of the base system.

I hate sendmail with a passion.  I use exim;  hence it's just added
bloat sitting in my rather full /usr.

The existance of more up-to-date ports for a lot of what's in the base
system means many people don't want any trace of them from the base
system; e.g. Perl.

Additionally, many parts of the base system are not required or wanted
on simple systems; if I have a tiny 486 I want to turn into a firewall,
I don't want to spend hours trimming down the base system to fit on it.

I suggest we extend the package system to include the base system; then
I can just do env PKG_DBDIR=/var/db/syspkg pkg_deinstall sendmail-6.6.6,
and sysinstall can more easily NOT install things I don't want, without
impacting users who do want them.

Or maybe everyone who doesn't want to use sendmail should switch to
NetBSD w/ syspkg :)

--
Thomas 'Freaky' Hurst  -  freaky@aagh.net  -  http://www.aagh.net/
-