Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 1995 09:02:33 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Promoting FreeBSD Web servers

As Brian Tao wrote:

>     I thought this would be a nice idea for FreeBSD servers as well.
> The only problem is the copyright on the BSD Daemon.  Are we allowed
> to use it if no profit is gained from it, and if the copyright is
> clearly displayed?  I used the rendition of the Daemon from the cover
> of the 2.0.5 CD-ROM in my icon.  http://aries.ibms.sinica.edu.tw/ .

I believe so.  For non-commercial purposes, Kirk doesn't mind, as long
as it's used in a ``morally good'' way (e.g. the daemon smashing a
Window(s) would violate the copyright).

Below is Kirk's answer when i was going to include the daemon picture
in xlockmore:

        Joerg,
                i believe that including the copyright message "BSD Daemon
        Copyright 1988 by Marshall Kirk McKusick. All Rights Reserved" in the
        bitmap files, the modified man page for xlock and the README.FreeBSD
        would be sufficient but i am sending a copy of this to Kirk for
        approval.

        jmb

Yes, that would be sufficient. Please send me a copy of the bitmap
file (preferably in GIF format) for my archives.

        ~Kirk
--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/