Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2000 01:54:39 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Subject:   Re: Very interesting benchmarking results...

At 4:27 PM -0800 2000/12/13, Jason C. Wells wrote:

>  I thought hardware raid was supposed to be much better.  These graphs show
>  this raid card as a fractional performer.  The difference is so staggering
>  I had to double check that your graphs were referenced to zero to make
>  sure you hadn't played any graphing tricks.

	Theoretically, hardware RAID is more reliable than software RAID.
And none of this benchmarking takes into account the CPU utilization,
etc... required for vinum to do it's job.  The rawio tools have
methods to generate that kind of information, but I haven't taken
advantage of that in my benchmarks.

>  Aside from the better numbers that vinum produces, I am surprised that the
>  raid card performance remained flat for an increased number of processes.
>  I am no expert, but that looks like something just ain't right with the
>  card.  Shouldn't throughput approach the aggregate throughput of the SCSI
>  channel(s)?

	I'm reserving all other comments until such time as I get
feedback from some other people and I can get a better feeling as to
what these results really mean.

Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>                || Belgacom Skynet SA/NV
Systems Architect, Mail/News/FTP/Proxy Admin || Rue Colonel Bourg, 124
Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.13.11/12.49             || B-1140 Brussels
http://www.skynet.be                         || Belgium