Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 10:58:13 -0000
From:      paul@originative.co.uk
To:        archie@whistle.com, dfr@nlsystems.com
Cc:        gelderen@mediaport.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: KLD naming

I don't think subdirectories based on bus type is a good idea, it
doesn't really fit the granularity we're probably heading towards. Some
thinks don't really fit at all, filesystems, screen savers etc and even
for drivers we're heading towards less bus specific devices so an
ethernet driver, say, would be the same for any bus, only the startup
code would be different and possibly(probably) in a different module.

A functional structure is probably better

/modules
	/devices
		/ethernet
		/storage
		/display
	/network
	/filesystems
	/screensavers

etc.

Not a specific proposal for actual directories but perhaps a better
direction. I think we should start thinking more in terms of function,
rather than bus, in a lot of what we do with devices as we abstract out
the bus code more effectively.

Paul.