Date:      Sat, 28 Aug 1999 20:17:23 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   fs-locking and fs memory copies questions

I would like to grow a ufs filesystem without the need to umount it before.
The growing itself will be possible for me in the near future without any
problems.

Before doing it while the fs is mounted I need to flush all blocks back to
the partition and lock the fs until the fs-strucktures are all updated.
All programs should block during the lock.
Is it possible to flush relieable with softupdates?

After the strucktures are up to date I need to reread the superblock and
all in memory copies of the previously last cg and all derived variables.

In some cases it is needed that I reallocate some frags/blocks.
That means that cg 0 has changed and maybe some other cgs I used to move
the frags to.
That also means that at least one inode or indirection block have beend modified
and of course that in memory references to diskblocks of indirection and/or
datablocks need to be updated.

Finally the locks need to be removed and all waiting operations can continue.

I would be happy if someone can explain or point me to a good documentation
about internal operations regarding the points I need.

--
B.Walter                  COSMO-Project              http://www.cosmo-project.de
ticso@cicely.de             Usergroup                info@cosmo-project.de