Date:      Thu, 12 Jun 1997 14:31:35 -0600
From:      Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@ve7tcp.ampr.org>
To:        Brandon Gillespie <brandon@ice.cold.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dump/restore with compression

[ -hackers dropped ... ]

One option (it's a bit heavyweight I'll admit) is to install amanda
and use it to run the backups. It can compress the dump sets on the
way to the tape if you like.

In my case, I never compress backups. If you get a single I/O
error on a tape, you have almost no hope of retrieving any data
stored beyond the error. Uncompressed backups in dump format
can handle and recover from this. (Compression done in the tape
drive includes a *lot* of redundent information to help handle recovery
from bad media situations.)

--lyndon