Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2001 09:40:07 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Michael Scheidell <scheidell@secnap.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: userland program panics freebsd 4.3

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 09:10:14AM -0500, Michael Scheidell wrote:
> > I doubt hardware related
> > I can get it to do it on two seperate boxes.
>
> OK, then you need to get more details as explained.

My gut reaction tells me that this is either a kernel stack overflow or out
of KVM.  The kernel stack overflow problem was "fixed" in 4.4-STABLE some
time back (change UPAGES from 2 to 3 in the kernel) so that the kernel stack
changes from 4.5K to 8.5K.

The other possibility is that he's configured the kernel so big (maxusers
too high etc) and he's running out of KVM.   No tuning information was
supplied (kernel configs, any sysctl/tunable changes etc).

I'd be interested to know what this says:
# gdb -k /kernel /dev/mem
(kgdb) print ((struct vm_map *)kernel_map)->size

Cheers,
-Peter