Date:      22 Oct 2000 20:54:39 +0200
From:      Simon J Mudd <sjmudd@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setting up sendmail

kyle@midnighttech.com ("W. Kyle Unice") writes:

> I am setting up sendmail and have a gateway to the internet running natd,
> ipfw, dhcpd, and named.  When I sendmail from my internal clients I get
> "Relaying denied".  I add the destination domain to the sendmail.cw file and
> do a Kill -INT, and then I can send to that domain.  But I don't want to
> have to setup a list for every possible domain.
>
> Is there a way to allow mail relaying if the from field is a valid IP
> address on our internal net or if the sender is a registered user?

It is not a good idea, and in the long time the spammers will find you,
to simply use the sender envelope address (not quite the From: line)
to validate relaying.

If you trust clients within a a certain ip range then it makes more sense
to setup sendmail to accept mail from these clients for relaying.

I've not used sendmail for some time, so don't remember how to set it
up to validate based on the incoming smtp client's ip, but I'm sure
this is possible.

Simon
--
Simon J Mudd, Madrid SPAIN    Tel: +34-91-408 4878    email: sjmudd@pobox.com