Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 2013 09:51:06 +0100
From:      Johan Hendriks <joh.hendriks@gmail.com>
To:        Adam McDougall <mcdouga9@egr.msu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: From 10 Beta4 to 10 RC1 lost gpt labels added by the installer

Adam McDougall schreef:

> On 12/13/2013 11:03, Johan Hendriks wrote:
>> Teske, DevinD schreef:

>> Well after the upgrade i have no GPT labels any more (they are on the
>> disk, but not useable).
>> So the disk has the labels.
>> But they are not active, /dev/gpt is not available, i think it gets
>> overwritten or pushed out of the way by glabel.
>>
>> glabel list shows me the following
>> jailhost ~ # glabel list
>> Geom name: ada0
>> Providers:
>> 1. Name: diskid/DISK-WMATV654xxxx There's been a similar problem with
>> graid, are you sure that's
>>> not what's going on here? That the OS has picked up on some
>>> BIOS-created thing?
>>
> I think you ran into the same issue I did when I replaced a HD with an
> ssd,
> and the 10 kernel started detecting a 'diskid' string from the ssd. It
> was causing
> geom to detect my disk by the diskid, and for some reason it was
> blocking access
> to my swap partition (overzealous exclusive access to the disk?). Try
> putting
> kern.geom.label.disk_ident.enable=0 in /boot/loader.conf and
> rebooting.  I've been
> meaning to file a PR.
After setting kern.geom.label.disk_ident.enable=0 in /boot/loader.conf
an zpool status gives me the following.

jailhost ~ # zpool status
   pool: zroot
  state: ONLINE
   scan: none requested
config:

         NAME                                            STATE READ
WRITE CKSUM
         zroot                                           ONLINE 0
0     0
           mirror-0                                      ONLINE 0
0     0
             gptid/83cd9405-6185-11e3-9983-002481b27da2  ONLINE 0
0     0
             gptid/843a0d19-6185-11e3-9983-002481b27da2  ONLINE 0
0     0

errors: No known data errors

Setting  kern.geom.label.gptid.enable=0 in /boot/loader.conf  and
rebooting gives me the following.

jailhost ~ # zpool status
   pool: zroot
  state: ONLINE
   scan: none requested
config:

         NAME          STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
         zroot         ONLINE       0     0     0
           mirror-0    ONLINE       0     0     0
             gpt/zfs0  ONLINE       0     0     0
             gpt/zfs1  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors
jailhost ~ #

Also i needed to change /etc/fstab back to /dev/gpt/swap0 and
/dev/gpt/swap1 to get swap working again.
Now i am happy...

@Devin.
Is it possible to make bsdinstall in such a way that you can edit the
gpt label for the disk.
I always use the last 4 or 5 digits from the serial number of the disk.
It would be nice if one can manage the name of the GPT label at zpool
creation time.

Thanks you for your time.

regards
Johan