Date:      Tue, 09 Mar 1999 19:22:32 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   syncing filesystems... giving up

I've managed to convert a couple of systems to 3.1R.  Both systems have
SCSI controllers, one with 2940UW2, one SCSI hard disk, a SCSI CDROM
drive, and 4mm external tape drive the other with a 1542CF, two SCSI
hard disks (+ 2 IDE hard disks), SCSI CDROM drive, and a 4mm internal
tape drive.  In both cases I've noticed that when shutting the systems
down (halt or reboot) I get "syncing filesystems... giving up" more
frequently (about 75% of reboots) than under 2.x.x (2.0.5 - 2.2.8).
Has anyone else noticed this?  I haven't used 3.1R on IDE only systems
(I have two other systems with only IDE peripherals, however these
haven't been upgraded yet).  One of the systems (the one with the
2940UW2) had been running with CAM patches installed on 2.2.6 through
2.2.8 with no problems.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Open Systems Group          Internet:  Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD                                   Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca