Date:      23 Sep 1999 14:14:00 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
To:        Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Inetd -l: log *all* connection attempts (not just valid svcs)

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999 08:11:53 -0700, Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu> said:

Matthew> To log connections to ports with nothing listening, set
Matthew> "log_in_vain" to "YES" in /etc/rc.conf if it's in there, or
Matthew> do "sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.log_in_vain=1" as root.

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

As to the name of the variable... you guys are the zaniest :-)

(When did this variable appear?)

PS: Anthony Di Pietro <anthony@dino.omen.com.au> suggested "clog" in
ports, which I tried. It does a nice job of reporting all connections
on the LAN segment, not just rejected ones nor just ones to the local
machine. Nice tool for seeing what's on your LAN.