Date:      Wed, 09 Jan 2013 18:54:35 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Walter Hurry <walterhurry@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkgng - Symlinks created by portupgrade?

--------------enig69578F4ABB8E94C6451EBB0C

On 09/01/2013 18:31, Walter Hurry wrote:
> I am using pkgng.
>=20
> When I issue 'portupgrade <package> -p', after build and installation, =
it=20
> builds a new package, as advertised. This (by default) is put into /usr=
/
> ports/packages/All.
>=20
> At the same time, it installs a set of symlinks; one for each relevant =

> port category, plus one in /usr/ports/packages/Latest.
>=20
> It is the naming of this last in which I am interested. Sometimes the=20
> symlink seems to bear the name (absent the version) of the package, and=
=20
> sometimes the name of the port (plus '.txz', of course).
>=20
> Two questions:
>=20
> 1) Does anyone know the logic used to derive the name of the symlink?
>=20
> 2) Would it be considered a breach of etiquette to email the port=20
> maintainer (bdrewery) and ask, or is this regarded as acceptable?
>=20
> 'man portupgrade' doesn't seem to shed any light on this, and I am=20
> unaware of where to seek other documentation.

The layout of /usr/ports/packages is actually down to the ports system
directly and not in the control of any add on software like portupgrade,
portmaster or pkgng.

The files under /usr/ports/packages/Latest are named according to the
LATEST_LINK variable in each port.  It's meant to be unique per-port,
but falls somewhat short.  Various ports have NO_LATEST_LINK set which
suppresses creating that link.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20