Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 2002 13:05:50 -0700
From:      richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net>
To:        pg@eth1.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dumping entire ide laptop disk

Peter Gatsoulis writes:

"... some of the fs are not Unix filesystems but MS DOS and NTFS
does dump work with non-unix fs'es?"

No, dump only understands the  UNIX 4.2 Fast File System and
derivatives.

(Looks for entry-level page describing FAT filesystem and permutations
...)

A good place to start:

    http://www.systweak.com/fat32/fat12.htm

Some sales literature that touches on how many friggin' filesystems
there are:

    http://www.webfs.com/shared/papers/gfss_paper.pdf

How I found these two gems:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=FAT+FAT32+NTFS+UFS+differences

"if i want to dump ALL the partitions into 1 file per
disk, without mounting each disk? is this possible?"

Theoretically, yes; as you noted, you could use dd(1) to dump a raw
image of the partition. It's not clear if that data, when restored to
another partition, would be usable ... and note that there are no error
detection mechanisms in dd(1), so you could easily copy a bad block, as
is, and not record the information which elsewhere noted that this was a
bad block - for instance.

Basically, you can think of backups as available at a variety of
granularities. You can operate upon simple files (IE, 'cp file
file.BAK'), or you can operate upon entire directories of files (IE,
'tar cvf /tmp/foo.tar /my/dir/'), or you can operate upon entire
filesystems (IE, 'dump 0f /dev/rmt8 /dev/sd0a'), or you can operate upon
raw partitions (IE, 'dd if=/dev/sd0a of=/dev/sd1a bs=512b'). Some of
these methods add more value than others - at the high end, dump(8)
preserves inode information so that a carefully crafted filesystem with
special inode characteristics can be preserved and restored ... at the
low end, dd(1) just reads and writes bytes and does some optional
operations on them, en passant.

dd(1) is so non-discriminatory that it *could* be used to back up NT
partitions. Sure, you also *could* use it to back up raw Oracle
partitions. But why, when there are perfectly good utilities that do a
better job and add more value?

I would strongly recommend using native utilities to copy your
installations and not assume that you can move Windows installations
about, willy-nilly. Registry entries on PCs running Windows, detailing
every little device driver and interrupt, make it very hard to achieve
true portability between machines ... never mind portability of
filesystems under those Windows operating systems.

You may want to look into using some sort of ZIP utility to make an
archive of your Windows installations, and use a Samba server as a
temporary holding place for those ZIP files while you are rebuilding
your machine; this would give you the backups you desire, along with
error-checking and considerable flexibility in terms of what you
restore.

"as it is now, i am NOT mounting the disk, and i have
tried listing the partitions in many ways, /dev/ad3s1,
/dev/ad3s1a, /dev/rad3s1e etc ..
what would be correct syntax? if this is not?"

Lacking more information or a proper listing of all the relevant device
entries you have before you it is hard to guess.

However, I seem to recall, when I was experimenting with FreeBSD's
capacity to mount DOS and NTFS filesystems (note that I mounted them
read-only, and I suggest this to everyone - why do you NEED to write to
your idle NTFS partition, no, of course, you don't, you just need to
read or copy something, right?), that the 'D' partition was reserved for
DOS. Have you tried mounting /dev/ad3s1d, ad3s2e, ad3s3e?

A better description of the exact disk, its exact physical geometry, and
how it's been sliced would be useful; personally, I always dedicate my
entire drive to FreeBSD, these days (easier to carry two laptops, you'll
probably need access to them both at the same time anyway), and so my
understanding of slicing is a bit fuzzy.

-- richard